Yes you do need a SSL certificate if you want your website or blog to be more secure. In fact it has been said that having a SSSL certificate can also help your ranking in Google just a wee bit more.
What does SSL stand for ?
SSL stands for Secure Sockets Layer
The most visual proof of having a SSL certificate is that your url starts with “https” rather than “http” and it will often have a green padlock icon in your browser, indicating your data is being transferred securely over the internet and no one can eavesdrop into your confidential data while its being transmitted.
Saying that normal websites are also secure, but ssl just gives that added bit of protection from hackers. If you have an online shop, ecommerce store or a big website then its worth investing in SSL. The price for this start from a small price of $5.99 to $89.99 and more depending on what package you take.
Why do prices range for $5 to so high for SSL Certificates ?
Domain Validated (DV), simply verifies that you have the rights to put a certificate on a website. ( The cheaper prices for SSL certificate just do this part, and so you can get a https for a cheaper price).Read at bottom for other validations that are also available as part of your SSL certificate.
The Certificate Authorities (CAs) like Symantec, Comodo, GeoTrust, Thawte, Verisign and Geotrust are giant SSL Certificate providers which offers Domain Validation, Organization or Business Validation and Extended Validation certificates.
The companies Comodo and Symantec have very extensive reseller networks and hey are many companies reselling for them. Thawte is company that has been around in this niche for a very long time.
The quick process of installing a SSL certificate
1. You buy the SSL certificate
2. Complete whatever verification steps you need ( need some detailed info).
3. Download your key.
4. Install it ( this can take the most time)
5. You can completely forget about it until renewal time.
Some providers of SSL certificates
1. SSL.com (https://www.ssl.com/) .They have a free 90 days SSL Certificate and after that it cost around $50 per year.
2. Godaddy.com ( they have the cheap prices from $5.99 to higher end security from $89.99)
3. Thawte.com (https://www.thawte.com/)
4. SSL2buy (https://www.ssl2buy.com/)
5. Verisign ( https://www.verisign.com)
You need an SSL Certificate if…
You have an online store or accept online orders and credit cards.
You need to comply with privacy and security requirements.
You value confidentiality and want users to trust you!
Your business partners login to confidential information on an extranet.
You have offices that share confidential information over an intranet.
You process sensitive data such as addresses, banking details or other sensitive personal information.
Benefits of SSL:
Customer confidence in the integrity and security of your online business
Keep your online transactions confidential
99.3% compatibility with all browsers
128 bit strong encryption SSL
Non-forgeable proof of your Website identity
Ideal and low cost for securing your web server.
What does a SSL certificate actually do ?
1. It confirms that the website really is who it claims to be.
2. That credit card numbers, etc are encrypted and cannot be intercepted.
3. That the data sent and received cannot be tampered with or forged.
Didn’t get enough of SSL Info ( Read on…)
There are 3 levels of verification of the requester
· Domain Validated (DV), simply verifies that you have the rights to put a certificate on a website.
· Organization validated (OV), verifies that you are a registered company
· Extended Validation (EV), verifies that your company is in good standing, that there is a named point of contact and some other industry agreed upon steps.
SSL’s are only valid for the common name for which they were issued. For example, secure.mdomain.tld is not the same to an SSL as mydomain.tld. Godaddy offers multi-domain SSL which should cover subdomains as well.
Security for my site and its sub domains: The Wildcard SSL certificate (starts at $42) is an ideal choice to secure unlimited numbers of sub domains.
Want to secure multiple websites: Some certificate authorities are offering multi domain SSL certificate (starts at $45) that can secure up to 100 multiple web sites.
To cut a long story short, they do not – but the good news and bad news is that there is another way to get cheaper renewal rates for your domain names with godaddy. Read my story on my hunt for renewal coupons below …
My February hunt for go daddy renewal coupons for 2016
These renewal coupons for godaddy seems scarce or then non-existent in the online world, so I have done a bit of hunting myself to get you to the prize I Hope. The thing is why would a company give discounts to already existing customers, well most wouldn’t. But some companies do it to increase their goodwill.
GoDaddy renewal coupon codes on February 2016
Let’s see if we can find any godaddy renewal coupons for 2016.
Hey i found one!!
Managed to find this one… Yeha its the sme
So though I would give this a whirl (no luck)
Even though I had a good amount in my shopping cart at that time (look below)
so i continued my hunt,
I went to retailme-nut and could not find any renewal coupons there as well
Then I found this coupon
GoDaddy 35% off coupon code – IAP35NEWC
(ohh bugger) The promotional code you entered is expired or Inactive.
Apparently what godaddy has done has created a special way to give low rates on renewals and new domain names. You have to join their
Discount domain club.
This Discount Domain Club is a new loyalty rewards program from Go Daddy. Customers who pay the yearly fee to join the club get special promotions and reduced prices on domain renewals.
This is an example of what you can expect as discounts when joining this club
It’s not much, but it’s something to reduce your cost – if you have a lot of domains in your domain name panel ( this Was the good news)
Link here – https://au.godaddy.com/domains/discount-domains.aspx
So I decided to check it out myself the discount club,
Here is what they offer for the 12 month $14.84 Month price ( this is the bad news – you have to pay )
· Industry-low prices on new domains, transfers and renewals
· FREE Cash Parking Premium ($17.99 value)
· FREE Go Daddy Auctions Membership ($7.99 value)
Obviously if you go for a longer period, the monthly price gets lower. So if you have many domains in your go daddy management panel, this will definitely help keep prices down.
So turns out the bad news is not so bad , as you will still manage to save some money if you have a lot of domain names
Join here –
——————– Jargon busters — Additional info & Products ———————
Domain cash parking – what is domain parking ?
Domain names can be parked before a web site is ready for launching. Many unused domains receive traffic from users who type those domain names directly into their browser address bar. If you own domains with this type of organic direct navigation traffic, you can be earning revenue by just parking it with your domain provider or a domain parking service.
Go daddy offers this service – what they do is put ads on your domain main page for people to click on and you get some revenue depending on how much traffic comes to your domain.
What is SSL certificates ?
If you are looking to run a Ecommerce website or On-line shop security is of high importance to you as well as your customers. A SSL certificate improves your website security.
Benefits of SSL certificate
- Safely accept credit cards on your website
- Make sure your customers feel safe
- 24/7 Support provided by godaddy
- Boosts your site’s Google ranking
- EV SSL turns browser bar green
Current offer: 25% off Standard SSL Certificates from GoDaddy!
Many people register a www.domain.name – set up a website, but never use their domain-name email address which is available for free to them. The reason why many people don’t do this varies – some don’t know that this is available to them, while some think it is too hard to set up.
Simple tutorial: Get Free Email with your Domain name
What would you think of a person who is trying to do business with you and emails you from a Gmail or hotmail/yahoo mail address. It is reasonable to think that you would possibly give more importance to a person who actually emails you with and email-address like [email protected] rather than a free service like [email protected] or jack @gmail.com.
Many people don’t understand the importance of you custom email address until they start using this, a e-mail with your own website address definitely looks more professional and trustworthy than a free email service. It also shows that you have taken the trouble to purchase a website , which adds another factor of authenticity and reassurance.
Getting a custom email is even easier today with domain names available for as low as $1 and wordpress hosting for websites going for as low as $3.49 a month. This makes it not only easier to get a website started but also get your custom email name/address.
There are still many people out here who only buy a domain name to get a respectable looking email-address attached to it which they can use for communication.
Here are some Domain and hosting providers that give you a free Email with your domain name and hosting account.
The fact of the matter is when you have spent money to buy a domain name, then why not use it and get yourself looking professional in your email communication with others. When you send a email to another person from your own website domain name it also shows trust , as only you or people you trust will be able to use your that website mail address.
Below I will show you what it’s all about when we use terms like Forwarding emails , Set up email servers, POP 3 and SMTP. But really you don’t need to know the more technical terms like pop 3 and smtp as the process of forwarding your emails are pretty straightforward.
So what is email forwarding
While we all would like to have our very own custom email-addy, we still want the comfort of our gmail or Hotmail for daily use. This is where the above email providers come in, they have made it easy to just set it up so that you can just forward all your emails you get at [email protected] to forward to [email protected] or yahoo or hotmail which is what you use for everyday checking of mails.
IF you are looking for any of the following solutions
- Forwarding email server , pop 3 smtp register
- Buy domain name with email
- Domain name email hosting
- Email with domain name
Then the guide below will be able to help you
How to setup your email with your domain name
This process is done in two parts, first setting up your domain name and second forwarding it to your Hotmail or Gmail address.
I will below show you how to set up your email a/c and forwarding on godaddy hosting , as I have a hosting account with them (among many others) and they are pretty good with a wide range of services available in one place.
Login to godaddy.com ( or get a hosting account/domain name first)
1. Login to Godaddy admin panel
2. Click on manage
3. Click on activate email if not already activated
4. Once email propogated ,it will show here
5.a If not propogated, create a free account
5b optional Create a new email-a/c
5.c Select your option while creating email-account
6. Additional options (auto reply etc)
7.Forwarding (Click to create forwarding and enter details to activate this )
This is the simple way of adding and forwarding email via go daddy admin panel. If you want more information, you can always visit the support links on godaddy for (To Add an Email Account to a Domain) and ( To Set up an Email Forwarding Address) or contact them on phone.
How to setup a email with your domain name and blog with bluehost
Create a new email account :
- Log into your Bluehost Control Panel.
- Open the Email Accounts tool, located in the Mail section of the cPanel.
- In the “Email:” text box type the User you would like to create an email address for
- In the “Password:” text box type the Password you would like this User to have.
- The “Password Strength:” meter will tell if the password you have entered is strong enough. We highly recommend you use a strong password. For more information on this subject? Please see our Knowledgebase article on
- In the “Password (Again):” text box type the Same Password you used above to confirm that they are the same. If the passwords do not match please carefully retype the password into both boxes again.
- The “Mailbox quota (optional):” text box is used to specify the amount of your overall hosting storage that will be allocated for that specific email account. The default that should be listed is 250 MB. You can increase or decrease this number as you desire.
- Once the User, Password, and Quota are all accurate; simply click the “Create Account” button.
Go to bluehost over here to create your domain-email account.
PDF BONUS –
Doc attached with this post : Download Here Deals to get you laid with a new blog grey